- A List Apart: Articles: The Four-Day Week ChallengeThough this article isn’t new, I am implementing the four day work week starting… three weeks ago. Now Thursday is my Friday.
- SonSpring | Accessible Display: NoneNice writeup of an alternate method for hiding non-important elements from sighted web users but making it available to screen readers.
- Eric’s Archived Thoughts: Reworked ResetEric Meyer’s reset styles for starting CSS files. It might be a while before I incorporate this into my base style sheets, but it’s a great starting point for zeroing out default browser styles.
Month: April 2007
Interesting Links for April 1–5, 2007
- Opera Bits: PNG CompressionAlthough geared toward mobile device designers, this article is a good start for anyone wishing to compress PNG files. On the Mac I currently use PNGCrusher which combines optiPNG with a nice interface to make it easy as pie.
- How To: Backup your Mac to a Dreamhost ServerGood basic tutorial for using rsync utility to backup to a remote server. If I was geekier I’d try duplicity for compression and encryption… but this is a good start I think. As noted in the comments it’s probably better to use a cronjob rather than using an iCal alarm to trigger the backup.
- dotMobi Mobile Web Developers Guide | Blue FlavorBrian Fling’s in-depth mobile design primer. I highly recommend reading this, even if you aren’t a mobile designer or developer.
- Web Typography Sucks | Slides and notes from SXSW 2007Slides and audio from one of SXSWi 2007’s more practical presentations. Posted again for reference and the links to great resources for web typography. I use this site as a reference for double checking my character encoding when using dashes and smart punctuation.