- Jeffrey Zeldman: King of Web StandardsLong live the King. I pledge allegiance…
- A Guide to Hiring Programmers: The High Cost of Low QualityWhy 3 expert developers are better than 10 intermediate ones.
- design|snipsCollection of inspiring web design. I’m a subscriber — this is right up my alley.
- Taskpaper"For Mac users who want a simpler way to create lists."
Month: August 2007
Web Standards Checklist, Outline Style
In 2004 Russ Weakley of Max Design presented a Web standards checklist to the Web Standards Group. I was on the mailing list and found the checklist invaluable as a guide for developing and testing web sites. The online version is perhaps the most useful, since it has links and reference materials, but I’ve often used the PDF version that Russ made available since I could print a new version for each project.
For several years I would either print the PDF and reference the checklist on paper, or open it in Illustrator, edit new layers of “checked” boxes and notes, and save it as a PDF again.
Now I’ve moved the checklist to a much easier format to work with on a regular basis: outline template in OmniOutliner. (OmniOutliner’s free version comes bundled with default software packages on Mac OS X.)
This allows me to quickly check off items without the clunky Illustrator editing. The plain-text export is handy for emailing or clean printing, and you can export as HTML if you like. OmniOutliner also has “notes” areas for adding text underneath each item, which is great for including reasons for not checking off a point, or if you need to jot down a few to-do items regarding an item.
A big thanks for Russ for developing this checklist—it’s been an integral part of my workflow. I hope you can use this outline-style “Web Standards Checklist” and that it speeds up your web site development and testing.
To use the outline, download the template file and open it in OmniOutliner. Then “Save As” to start a checklist; this gives you a new checklist for every web site project.
“Web Standards Checklist” as OmniOutline Template (Note: Includes minor changes to spelling, punctuation, and style.)
Original “Web Standards checklist”[sic] from Max Design as OmniOutline Template (Note: I didn’t change any text or fix typos in this version—it’s straight from the original PDF.)
Interesting Links for July 20–August 2, 2007
- The FontFeed Â» Erik Spiekermann’s Typo TipsTypography tips from a master, including some handy Mac keyboard combinations for certain typographic elements like dashes.
- Jeffrey Zeldman Presents : What Apple copied from MicrosoftI agree with Zeldman here — it’s all about the synchronization and ease of use.
- Thirteen Simple Rules for Speeding Up Your Web SiteGreat advice for quick page load times. A few I don’t see as practical unless you are a sysadmin or have complete control over your server (Etags, CDN, etc).
- ScreenStepsEasy screenshots and help documentation for Mac users. (via sdevore).