Resources and notes to share what I’m learning about inclusive design.
Reference for my talk at WordCamp Phoenix 2018: WordPress for Everyone: Delivering Inclusive Design.
Download a PDF of the slides [51 MB]. Video to come soon.
- Kat Holmes
- John Maeda
- Cate Huston
- Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- Ashleigh Axios
- Leo Postovoit
- Davide Casali
- Sheena Iyengar
Product Stories & Companies
- Roku — Story: Roku & the 10-Foot Rule
- OXO — Story: OXO Figured It Out
- Barclays — Story: Accessible Banking and Accessibility Developments
- Automattic & WordPress.com — Story: “Are You Sure?” Improved Publishing Confidence on WordPress.com, To See Yourself in Imagery, and Is Calypso Fast Yet?
- WooCommerce — Story: Inclusive Marketing
- Microsoft — Resource: Inclusive Design Toolkit
- Atlassian — Story: Illustrating Balanced and Inclusive Teams
- Airbnb — Video: How Airbnb Designs for Trust
- Twitter — Product: Twitter Lite
- Facebook — Product: Facebook Lite
Links & Reference
- Design.blog — 50 thought leaders contributing essays on design, inclusion, +/- tech in Community, Creativity, Culture, Health, Leadership, and Product.
- Design and Exclusion — A free conference produced by Automattic, Mash-Up Americans, and the MIT Center for Civic Media at the Media Lab.
- Inclusive Illustrations — The illustration vocabulary created by Alice Lee and adopted by WordPress.com to express the broad range of customers that we serve.
- Inclusive Design Checklist — An online and printed resource launched at the 2017 AIGA National Design Conference.
- We Called it Gutenberg for a Reason — Matt Mullenweg on the essential freedoms of WordPress
- Tragic Design by Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- Design for Real Life by Sara Wachter-Boettcher and Eric Meyer
- Kat’s Inclusive Design book list (Pinterest)
Blog Series: 15 Days of Inclusive Design
- Day 1: Introduction, Discovery, and Voices
- Day 2: Building Empathy
- Day 3: Mismatched Conditions
- Day 4: When Defaults Don’t Fit
- Day 5: To See Yourself in Imagery
- Day 6: Recognizing Exclusion
- Day 7: Roku and the 10-Foot Rule
- Day 8: Expand Your Market By Solving One Case First
- Day 9: Review of Principles
- Day 10: Making Your App Accessible Benefits Everyone
- Day 11: OXO Figured It Out
- Day 12: Improved Publishing Confidence on WordPress.com
- Day 13: Mind the Mobile, Design for Low Bandwidth
- Day 14: Diverse Teams Make Better Decisions
- Day 15: Recap: Links, Resources, Stories, and Voices