This is a talk I delivered for ProductCon September 2021 about balancing change and continuity, titled “Your First 90 Days: Listen, Learn & Act.”
When facing change, how to make your first 90 days matter by staying alert and ready to listen, learn, and act. Working to find the gaps and fill them to find success from day one.
Download the slides:
- Lance Willett – Your First 90 Days – Slides (PDF, 4.6 MB)
- Lance Willett – Your First 90 Days Slides with Notes (PDF, 4.7 MB)
Description: Change is inevitable! Product leaders often deal with change and uncertainty in our jobs and across our careers. A constant feedback loop of learning and action.
How you start matters. The best of the best build on basics when taking on a new role or stepping up to lead a key project.
- Establish trust and credibility, identify and fill gaps in knowledge, and kick start change
- Get started better: activate teams, organize your work, communicate clearly, and build success from day one.
Books mentioned: The First 90 Days by Michael Watkins; Brave New Work by Aaron Dignan; and A Sense of Urgency by John Kotter.
Event details: Thank you to Product School for the invitation to share this important topic with an active community of learners. The virtual conference platform used Hopin with 4,000+ live viewers at a given time for the sessions (around 20,000 total).
Want more? Watch all the videos from ProductCon September 2021.
- Book: Every Product Manager’s First 90 Days by John Franck.
- Blog post: Make the First 90 Days Count: A Simple 30-60-90 Day Plan by Deb Liu, CEO of Ancestry.com (shared in Women in Product community); via Evelyn Chou.